Okay this is something that I run into a lot, but after running into an old DA comment mentioning it I'd like to have a little rant about it.
There's a few subjective facts (Yes, subjective facts) about me that are pretty well known.
- I can be considered a pretty good spriter
- People like to call me a god of spriting
- I tend to use ms paint above all other programs to make sprites.
Now what strikes me as odd is the fact that a lot of people tend to judge spriters as superior if they produce quality work through ms paint; now before anyone feels offended I'd like to point out this;
-Making pixelart in ms paint is obviously more tedious and more difficult than say, the gimp or a program with layers
However, though I only add some sort of point to make me seem intelligent, if I had to add a stance to using ms paint to make work it's not one of "I use a sucky program, look how great I must be!"
I believe one should judge a work by it's quality, may it be style, technical quality or something else, but not by how it was produced.
I've heard a number of people who seem convinced that something is actually -better- if it was made in Ms Paint compared to the exact same picture if it was made in photoshop.
This is -not- true, and as someone who actively uses ms paint to make pixelart and sprites I'd like to strongly object anyone using that fact as some sort of reason to call me better than any pixelartist I'd easily call superior to me on a technical level (fool comes to mind, though I'm not sure what he uses, I think gimp)
Anyway, as I was saying; there is a bit of a little reason in mind why I never decided to stray away from ms paint in the early days, eventhough photoshop and the like can be considered superior programs.
It's something that also explains why I initialy started doing pixelart back in the days; I really wanted to have things to show to people, but had no scanner or any way to reproduce my drawings digitally;
I had no photoshop or fancy programs, and without those CG is pretty much impossible, until I found something interesting.
When running into a set of MM7 style megaman bosses and trying to find out what game they came from I found out that people could actually -make- game sprites on the computer.
Although I often doodled in ms paint when I had my good old windows 96 comptar, a world opened for me when I realised you could make -good- looking pictures with just pixels.
Although it took ages to learn it was the greatest realisation for me that I could make great things like in the mario games I loved so dearly with the most basic programs on the computer like ms paint, because unlike CG, it was just pixels, no AA, no filters, no layers; just that.
After a few years of pixeling the reason I decided to stay to MS Paint was none of the following:
1. Because I actually thought it was better then photoshop
2. Because I wanted to compensate for any lack of skill by using a program that'd make it look more impressive
3. To make my work look more impressive in general
4. Because I'm secretly in love with Bill Gates
There's only two good reasons for me to like the program and use it:
1. To hammer on the fact that anyone who'se determined to make pixelart or anything like that whining that they don't have photoshop, a scanner, a tablet (though I use one now to avoid RSI :c) or anything like that is hindering them in doing it.
Eventhough it's not the most effecient choice, if you really try you can -easily- make proper sprites and pixelart with ms paint alone if you practice enough;
People who go around saying "Oh, I could do that if I had photoshop" towards great pixelartists should -first- show that they could do something of even 80-90% of the same quality in ms paint;
Because guess what? If any of those people who outclass me in photoshop decided to make pixelart in paint, they'd still outclass me, it just has less functions and usefull things like layers, but when it comes down to it, for pure pixel pushing it works just as well.
(I'd say only things like huge palette changes, work that just goes better with layers, contrast changes and the like ms paint is 100% worthless)
2. Because I don't have 200 buttons I'll mess around with instead of drawing
Okay that rant ends there, but I hope it explains my sentiments on the matter.
So in other news:
1.I'm stalling my Brawl Group picture a bit longer than two weeks, why, you may ask?
Well, in my previous post I mentioned deciding to make a meager step from 4 to 9 characters or so.. well, that's not going to happen.
Because Ahruowolf or whatever his name is finished his entire picture I'm determined that the next version of mine that'll make it onto my DA can compete with that.
You'll see what I mean in due time.
2. My 2nd pokédex is around 24 favourites away from finally beating my first one, this pleases me to a great extend because I really wanted the undeniable superior dex to get more favourites than the old one, normally I don't really care -that- much about favourites but I'd like to beat my own work with my own improvement..hope that it'll happen soon
And that's about all I had to say regarding this subject, any questions or comments will be awnsered, just hope I didn't come over as hostile
p.s full brawl roster.. suprised that I like it, but I do.
COME ON EUROPEAN RELEASE DATE >